Nebraska Extension to Host Beefwatch Webinar Series
Listen to a discussion of the content in this article on this episode of the BeefWatch podcast. You can subscribe to new episodes in iTunes or paste http://feeds.feedburner.com/unlbeefwatch into your podcast app.
Nebraska Extension will host a Fall 2022 BeefWatch Webinar Series. This free webinar series is targeted to help cow/calf producers make management and feeding decisions this winter. Each session will feature industry experts and plenty of opportunity to interact to get your questions answered. More information about the BeefWatch Webinar Series can be found on our webpage: https://beef.unl.edu/beefwatch-webinar-series
Each webinar will begin at 8:00 PM Central Time.
Dates, topics and speakers are as follows:
October 11, Decision Making During Drought
Dr. Jay Parsons, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
○ When feed is expensive and home grown forage is short, tough decisions have to be made. Jay will provide some thoughts on the decision making process using current market examples. Register here.
October 18, Decisions for Culling Cows and Heifers and Utilizing Pregnancy Detection
Dr. Kacie McCarthy, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
○ How do you prioritize what cows and heifers to keep or sell? Kacie will help you think through your culling decisions, who are good candidates and how implementing timely pregnancy detection as a tool can help make decisions. Register here.
October 25, Making the Most of Your Hay Supplies
Dr. Mary Drewnoski, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
○ How do you stretch the hay that you have to meet cow needs when you don’t have a feed truck? Mary will discuss options to limit waste and/or limit hay intake in combination with supplementation to meet cow needs. Register here.
November 1, Tips for Confined Feeding Success
Dr. Karla Wilke, Panhandle Research Extension Center
○ Nutrition and management considerations for the cow-calf pair in drylot – How to make it work with the resources you have. Register here.
November 8, Profitability Roundtable – Ways to Reduce Costs
Dr. Travis Mulliniks, West Central Research and Extension Center
○ Travis will moderate a panel to address some top tips to reduce costs this winter such as evaluating available feed resources, how to navigate high commodity prices, and ways to reduce mineral and supplement costs. Register here.
Dr. Kacie McCarthy, Beef Cow-Calf Specialist, 402-472-6074, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Mary Drewnoski, Beef Systems Specialist, 402-472-6289, email@example.com