Principles for Care and Management of the Cow and Calf at Calving
Preparation by cow-calf producers for the calving season will increase the likelihood of success. In this roundtable podcast, the veterinary team at the Great Plains Veterinary Educational Center discusses calving principles that producers can use to enhance their care and management of both cow and calf.
A Conversation with Great Plains Veterinary Educational Center Veterinarians
Topics discussed in the interview include (with timecode):
- Introductions (0:01)
- Preparing Heifers and Cows Nutritionally for Calving (2:25)
- Preparing for Assisting Heifers and Cows at Calving (7:02)
- Importance of Quality Colostrum and Colostrum Replacement Products (8:54)
- Understanding the Stages of Labor and when to Intervene (15:17)
- When to Call for Help (20:13)
- Helping Calves to Begin Breathing After a Difficult Delivery (27:42)
- Importance of Colostrum for the Compromised Calf (32:11)
- Post Calving Management Practices to Promote Calf Health (34:50)
- Principles for Warming Chilled Calves (42:57)
- Conclusion and Resources (49:34)
The BeefWatch podcast is the audio companion to the monthly BeefWatch newsletter and also features bonus interviews such as the Producer Perspective.