Understand what an Animal Unit Month (AUM) is and its use in range management
June 4, 2013
Dr. Karla Jenkins
UNL Extension Cow-Calf and Range Management Specialist
Panhandle Research and Extension Center
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Dr. Karla Jenkins explains what an AUM is, and how it is used in making range management decisions.
Related article: Sustainable Pasture Usage – Understanding AUMs (Animal Unit Months)
- Skillful Grazing Management on Semiarid Rangelands EC162 (PDF 1.24MB). Available for purchase for $1.00 at the UNL Marketplace.
- Grazing Systems for Nebraska Sandhills Rangeland EC127 (PDF 1.18MB). Available for purchase for $1.00 at the UNL Marketplace.
- Grazing and Hay Records: Spreadsheet Template, EC165 (PDF 1.87MB)
download Grazing and Hay Records Excel spreadsheet file
Back to Videos and Webinars page
Beef Cattle Production
- Cow-calf, Bull and Heifer Nutrition and Management
- Breeding, Genetics & Reproduction
- Backgrounding, Yearling and Feedlot Nutrition and Management
- Forage, Pasture & Range Management
- By-Product Feeds
- Beef Forage Crops Systems
- Herd Health
- Livestock and the Environment
- Marketing and Livestock Budgets
- Nebraska Beef Quality Assurance Program