Understand what an Animal Unit Month (AUM) is and its use in range management
June 4, 2013
Dr. Karla Jenkins
UNL Extension Cow-Calf and Range Management Specialist
Panhandle Research and Extension Center
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
Dr. Karla Jenkins explains what an AUM is, and how it is used in making range management decisions.
Related article: Sustainable Pasture Usage – Understanding AUMs (Animal Unit Months)
- Skillful Grazing Management on Semiarid Rangelands EC162 (PDF 1.24MB). Available for purchase for $1.00 at the UNL Marketplace.
- Grazing Systems for Nebraska Sandhills Rangeland EC127 (PDF 1.18MB). Available for purchase for $1.00 at the UNL Marketplace.
- Grazing and Hay Records: Spreadsheet Template, EC165 (PDF 1.87MB)
download Grazing and Hay Records Excel spreadsheet file
Back to Videos and Webinars page
Beef Cattle Production
- Cow-calf, Bull and Heifer Nutrition and Management
- Breeding, Genetics & Reproduction
- Backgrounding, Yearling and Feedlot Nutrition and Management
- Forage, Pasture & Range Management
- By-Product Feeds
- Beef Forage Crops Systems
- Herd Health
- Livestock and the Environment
- Marketing and Livestock Budgets
- Nebraska Beef Quality Assurance Program